Thursday, December 8, 2016

Levellers @ UEA, Norwich - December 7, 2016

This was the 25th Anniversary tour for the Levelling the Land album. I saw that original tour in Toronto in 1992, after having LOVED that album and listened to it over and over. So when my concert pal invited me, I had to go.

We tried to get there to see the opener Gaz Brookfield, as I'd seen him in a pub in Camden after a London Faith No More Gig and he was very impressive. Unfortunately we only caught one song, but it was nice to see something more of his. He seemed full of energy and audience interaction, and I will try and see him again. The second openers, Ferocious Dog, I didn't know, but seemed suited to the slot, being folk punk with a touch of hippie (dreads galore).

The Levellers played their album in track order and I found myself singing along with almost all of it, transported back 25 years. Damn if those songs don't hold up! Still such a good album. The band were full of energy and gave their all. Following up the album were a bunch of songs that I'm unfamiliar with, having not kept up with their music. Glad I didn't miss this one.

Setlist:
One Way
The Game
Fifteen Years
The Boatman
Liberty Song
Far From Home
Sell Out
Another Man's Cause
The Road
The Riverflow
Battle of the Beanfield

This Garden
Men-an-Tol
Truth Is
Carry Me
The Cholera Well

Encore:
Julie
Beautiful Day

2nd Encore:
What You Know (with Ferocious Dog members)



No comments: