Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Against Me! @ WUK, Vienna - December 18, 2016

Against Me! at WUI, Vienna
Despite the one hour delay to start the show, this is one of the better Against Me! shows I've seen (I'm up to 7 now.) There was a good vibe and lots of smiling from the band. I went with friend and fellow Against Me! fan, Janey who's a great concert pal. As opposed to London where they played 7 tracks off the new album, Shape Shift With Me, tonight they only played 5. The new song Norse Truth wasn't done in London and was the penultimate song during the encore. Kind of a lyrical follow up to Delicate, Petite & Other Things I'll Never Be which they also played.

Against Me!
A huge highlight of the night for me was when they played their cover of Clash song Train in Vain. I'd seen videos, but it was cool to get to see and hear it live and jump around like a mad woman. I got the feeling not everyone around me was as familiar, which was strange. Does that make me old?

WUK is a really nice venue to see a show. It has a 550 standing capacity, so a good size, plus good sitelines. It's basically one big square room with concrete floor and a wide raised stage at one end. The room next door is the bar and set up really well. The efficient bar staff were all friendly. They have reusable drink cups, so that's great. Best of all, they stayed open after the gig so we could have another drink or two after the show without being rushed out. What a treat! It was also really easy to get in and out without logjams. Even the bathrooms were easy. Such a great venue really helps improve a concert experience immeasurably.

Setlist:
True Trans Soul Rebel
333
Haunting, Haunted, Haunts
Unconditional Love
White Crosses
Dead Friend
Pints of Guinness Make You Strong
T.S.R. (This Shit Rules)
Cliche Guevara
Walking Is Still Honest
Bamboo Bones
White People for Peace
Delicate, Petite & Other Things I'll Never Be
Rebecca
Transgender Dysphoria Blues
I Was a Teenage Anarchist
Black Me Out

Encore:
Train in Vain (Clash cover)
FUCKMYLIFE666
Norse Truth
Sink, Florida, Sink
Against Me! WUK

No comments: