Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sleaford Mods @ Roundhouse - September 22, 2018

Sleaford Mods September 22, 2018
We missed Grey Hairs, only hearing the final song as we were entering and checking out the merch table. Consumer Electronics were the other openers and were ferociously loud and sonically challenging. It reminded me of some of the more abrasive Industrial music of the 90s, so parts did appeal to me, but it was all too much and the earplugs went in quickly as we backed to the far wall. My loose cargo pants were vibrating against my legs it was that loud!

Sleaford Mods Roundhouse
This is my second time seeing Sleaford Mods, and I very much doubt the last time. It hasn't even been a year since the Norwich gig I went to, but I snapped up the tickets when I saw they were going to be doing a couple shows at the Roundhouse, a great venue.

These shows were to support their new EP and they played every track. In fact of the 18 songs, 9 were new or songs they didn't play last show I saw. They opened with two new tracks, Flipside and Subtraction, that aren't even on the new EP, but possibly will be on their next album they have planned for Spring 2019.

The new EP tracks, beginning with the first single Stick In a Five and Go, were interspersed between firm fan favourites that sent the moshpit jumping and shoving. The only other surprise was a 2014 Divide and Exit track, From Rags to Richards that they don't play live often. Tonight they skipped the pantomime of an encore, plowing through an energizing final run from Jobseeker to Tweet Tweet Tweet.


Sleaford Mods September 22, 2018

The stage is the same sparse setup as always, but Jason Williamson is getting to be even more of an amazing performer to watch. All the ticks and physicality are present along with some more, bolder playing about. Another great show. I'm excited to keep going to their shows.

Setlist
Flipside
Subtraction
Stick In a Five and Go
Moptop
Just Like We Do
Giddy on the Ciggies
TCR
Joke Shop
Bang Someone Out
From Rags to Richards
Routine Dean
Jolly Fucker
You're Brave
BHS
Dregs
Gallows Hill
Fizzy
Jobseeker
Tied Up in Nottz
Tarantula Deadly Cargo
Tweet Tweet Tweet



No comments: