Sunday, November 30, 2014

Against Me! w/Billy the Kid @Electric Ballroom, London - Nov 19/14

Obviously, the band has changed a LOT since I saw them in 2008. That was a good show, full of high punk-energy. This. This was a brilliant show. Same, crazy energy, but full of warmth and real connection with the crowd. Laura Jane Grace looked comfortable in herself and open and appreciative of the vibe in the venue.  I don't think I've ever been to a show that just felt this good and was this much fun. I think this may be a rare thing in London, or any big city, where fans are perhaps too cool to really enjoy themselves.

After such an experience, I am now a firm fan. Plus, I can't seem to get the songs out of my head!

Setlist:
FuckMyLife666
Pints of Guinness Make You Strong
Cliché Guevara
New Wave
Walking is Still Honest
Drinking With the Jocks
I Was a Teenage Anarchist
Black Me Out
Osama Bin Laden as the Crucified Christ
Don't Lose Touch
Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Dead Friend
True Trans Soul Rebel
How Low
Borne of the FM Waves of the Heart (w/opener Billy the Kid)
Unconditional Love
Thrash Unreal
Encore:
Miami
Rapid Decompression
Sink, Florida, Sink
We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules)


Note: Billy the Kid was an excellent opener: energetic, charismatic and a great singer-songwriter. On one of her songs, This Sure As Hell Ain't My Life, Frank Turner joined her in a duet. Plus she's from Vancouver (although I'd not heard of her), so gotta love her.

No comments: